Friday 25 November 2016

An IMDB Rating System

The Internet Movie Database (IMDB) allows users to rate films from 1 to 10. It can be difficult to consistently rate things on such a fine scale (I prefer using 1 to 5 stars with no halves). So, more for my own reference than anything else, I have devised the following rating system. You can see my movie ratings here.

I do not enjoy horror movies, so cannot really classify them. Some films might also be enjoyed ironically (God’s Not Dead) or out of historical interest (Lolita), and also fall outside this rating system.

10

This is a great film. It is memorable, important and exceptionally well-executed. I would encourage everyone to see it. Examples: The Shining, The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith.

9

This is a very good film. It is memorable and very well done. I would encourage people to see it. Examples: Suburra, Only Yesterday.

8

This is a very good film, although others might be more memorable. If someone mentioned it to me, I would recommend it. Examples: In The Loop, The Usual Suspects.

7

This is a good film, and if someone asked I’d tell them so. It might have some minor flaws, but it’s worth seeing. Examples: Edge of Tomorrow, Doctor Strange.

6

This film is okay. I would not really recommend it, but you could certainly do a lot worse. Examples: The Ninth Gate, Gone Girl.

5

This film isn’t very good. I did not enjoy it and would encourage people to see something else. Examples: The 40 Year Old Virgin, Life of Brian.

4

This is a bad film, although watchable. Example: Suicide Squad, Batman: The Killing Joke.

3

This is a terrible film. It is barely watchable. Examples: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, The Little Shop of Horrors.

2

This film is so bad it’s unwatchable. Example: Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

1

I’m going to reserve this rating for films which are not merely bad, but offensive and should never have been made. Thankfully, I have no examples so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment